Living Obliquely

Approximately 1400 people are diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis (TM) annually.
Similar to Multiple Sclerosis, it attacks your myelin, leading to painful and debilitating side effects.
About 33,000 Americans are currently disabled as a result of this rare neurological disorder.
Not one person with TM will ever know their prognosis.
I happen to be one of them.



I am a neurological soup. Since my TM diagnosis, I have developed encephalitis, MS, RSD/CRPS, Osteoporosis (I am 34, no 35, eek), and Chronic Anemia. Yeah...life sucks, but I still rock.



5.23.2010

Our Day Came and Went..in Australia?!

I'm embarrassed to admit, but I rarely look at the News Listings on my own blog, but psychic energy drew my eye there today. And what did I learn, Australia has a national Transverse Myelitis Day!

Unfortunately, many of the few of us missed the opportunity to join in this year, as the little known day, May 17, has passed.We could make our own, but why not join forces? Why not initiate an international TM Awareness Day?

We could do it grassroots, but I'd like to make it official. Don't you? So.....


HEEELLLLLLLLP!

  1. ***Does anyone out there know how to make TM Day an international reality?
  2. ***What organization(s) are responsible for actualizing this & what is the procedure?

Don't know yourself? Don't leave us TMers hanging without our own holiday....

Tweet it. FB it. Ask your family doc. Ask your local politicians. Ask God, Jesus, Buddha, your hairdresser, manicurist, or neighborhood psychic.


And while we're at it...let's work to unite all neuro-ites with an International Neurological Disorder Day (bolded in place of a much-deserved hyperlink) too.



EXCUSES, EXCUSES
You may be asking, Why don't you, Melanie, do it yourself? The answer - I'm impatient, I want an answer/resolution asap, starting tomorrow I have a week of double treatment (IVIg & Ketamine Infusion boosters), I'm entering another RSD flare-up, I'm exhausted and cognitively impaired, and I can't do everything. I can barely do the requirements of a full-time sicko, let alone manage my life and the lives of every TMer across the globe.

When I started my professional dance career, the first choreographer I worked with often said, It's my job to make it up. It's your job to remember it [do it]. So everybody, let's listen to Patty, and immortalize her contribution to the dance world...and my world.

Chop, chop! I'm looking forward to a lot of comment responses to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments on my blog. Please stop back soon or subscribe by clicking http://feeds.feedburner.com/NeuroDetour.

If you're a Philly-region person with TM, please consider joining the Transverse Myelitis Philadelphia network (http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=mb#/group.php?gid=44446668472), a new social networking group that I started for people with TM so that we can meet and chat casually. It's only on Facebook for now, so, if you haven't already, join. It's easy.

Best,
Melanie

In Pictures

Please Note: Some photos may contain partial nudity or depictions of medical procedures. Though I am in many of these photos, my reason for sharing these personal photos is to promote awareness, understanding, and advocacy for people with TM and other rare diseases.
To play the slide show, click the big play button in the center of the screen, then the small one in the bottom left corner. Click here for more advanced viewing instructions, and select "Help."

Twittering Mel

    follow me on Twitter

    Neuro Art Latest

    See My Art Published in Monkey Puzzle Issue #7

    See My Art Published in Monkey Puzzle Issue #7
    Representing TM through Art and Dialogue...Locally, Nationally, Virtually.