Living Obliquely

Approximately 1400 people are diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis (TM) annually.
Similar to Multiple Sclerosis, it attacks your myelin, leading to painful and debilitating side effects.
About 33,000 Americans are currently disabled as a result of this rare neurological disorder.
Not one person with TM will ever know their prognosis.
I happen to be one of them.



I am a neurological soup. Since my TM diagnosis, I have developed encephalitis, MS, RSD/CRPS, Osteoporosis (I am 34, no 35, eek), and Chronic Anemia. Yeah...life sucks, but I still rock.



2.09.2009

Of all "things"...

Some not-so-stupid but karma-vapid idiot has apparently stolen my identity! And charged thousands onto a debit card (which gratefully, thanks to PNC bank, I am not responsible for) in my honor.


I just found this so ridiculously ironic, I had to share because:

a) I don't have much of an identity to steal, (considering I'm still finding myself in my new Transverse Myeltis (TM) world),
b) I have no income,
c) I'm waiting for disability benefits to kick in,
d) I have a neuro disorder that = shit-life-with-unknown-prognosis,
e) I hope to remember this incident because it makes me laugh (even tho it's one more identity I have to fight for), and
f) Who else would find identity theft funny but me, and
g) Laughter is contagious, so I hope your getting a good laugh too.


So, here's a toast to to stolen identity, because perhaps this thief will steal all of me and normalcy (as much as normal I can muster on a normal day) will return sooner than expected.


PS Please no toast expectations until this weekend. My 2nd round of home-bound IVIg begins tomorrow morning, and toast-time will be limited for the next 5 days; gotta keep the system clean and prepped...as ordered. Rules stink, don't they?

1 comment:

  1. Thinking about this week during your IV therapy.Hope it goes well.I have made A major decision, anything I say or do that is inappropriate I will blame on my condition.This could be A lot of fun.I am pumped up on steroids like A-Rod and ready to start slapping! Janis Z

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your comments on my blog. Please stop back soon or subscribe by clicking http://feeds.feedburner.com/NeuroDetour.

If you're a Philly-region person with TM, please consider joining the Transverse Myelitis Philadelphia network (http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=mb#/group.php?gid=44446668472), a new social networking group that I started for people with TM so that we can meet and chat casually. It's only on Facebook for now, so, if you haven't already, join. It's easy.

Best,
Melanie

In Pictures

Please Note: Some photos may contain partial nudity or depictions of medical procedures. Though I am in many of these photos, my reason for sharing these personal photos is to promote awareness, understanding, and advocacy for people with TM and other rare diseases.
To play the slide show, click the big play button in the center of the screen, then the small one in the bottom left corner. Click here for more advanced viewing instructions, and select "Help."

Twittering Mel

    follow me on Twitter

    Neuro Art Latest

    See My Art Published in Monkey Puzzle Issue #7

    See My Art Published in Monkey Puzzle Issue #7
    Representing TM through Art and Dialogue...Locally, Nationally, Virtually.